The Cayuga Museum of History and Art was founded in 1936. Theodore Case and his wife, Gertrude, gave the estate at 203 Genesee Street to Professor Walter Long for use as a museum. The original plan for the Museum was to serve as a civic center for the cultural groups of the city of Auburn. Activities were broad based and fell into four categories: Art, History, Music and Children’s programs.
Since then, our mission has become focused on the history of Auburn, Cayuga County and the Finger Lakes region and the Case Research Lab.
The Cayuga Museum presents changing exhibitions, public programs, and serves researchers on three floors of the historic Willard-Case Mansion. We care for thousands of artifacts, archives and photographs from Cayuga County and the Finger Lakes region as well as the complete archives and collections of the Case Research Lab, where Theodore Case invented the first commercially successful system of sound on film.
The Cayuga Museum operates through three buildings- changing exhibits in the mansion, the Case Research Lab with a permanent exhibit of the workings of Case’s 20th century laboratory, and the Carriage House Theater, a renovated 1850’s carriage house, now multi-arts space.
Click here for more information on visiting the museum, including hours, admission and directions to the museum.