Cayuga Museum Research & Use Policies
The Cayuga Museum provides complimentary research services for a maximum of 15 minutes of research time. Additional research time will be charged at a rate of $20 per hour with a minimum of one hour and must be paid in advance. Museum members receive one hour of research free of charge. When submitting a research request please be as specific and detailed as possible about what you are looking for.
The Cayuga Museum’s collection is available for in-person research by appointment only to scholars, students and researchers. Scheduling is based on staff availability. The fee for on-site research is $50 for the first day, $25 for each additional day (per each research request). Members receive 50% off on-site research fees and students are free.
Researchers requesting digital images of material from the Cayuga Museum’s collections must complete a permission form.
In-Person Research Procedures
1) An appointment must be made in advance. It may take several weeks for staff to identify material to help with your research.
2) A Registration Form must be filled out for entry.
3) You must be prepared to show photo I.D., such as a driver’s license.
4) Pencils and/or laptops must be used for taking notes
5) You will be required to leave personal belongings in a secure area. No bags, coats, food, or drink will be allowed in the collections viewing area.
6) Photocopies will only be produced if the materials can be copied without damage, and the request is within the copyright law. Photocopies will be made by museum staff only.
*To receive the non-profit rate, written proof of non-profit status must be provided. In some cases, such as use for profit making purposes, the Cayuga Museum may adjust these fees or not allow the non-profit rate.
**Images must be credited as specified by the museum.
Make an Appointment
Our limited research space and the potential for high demand means it is very important for all patrons to contact the Museum ahead of time and make an appointment for in-person research. Reach out to our Collections Manager to make your appointment.
If you’d prefer to mail your Research/Image Request, download the PDF and mail to:
Cayuga Museum of History & Art
203 Genesee St.
Auburn, NY 13021
Please review the Research & Use Policy thoroughly, either on this page or in the below PDF, before you submit your request.